Whether fresh in the job market or an experienced employee searching the job market for good work, you should understand how competitive and challenging it has become. Sometimes it can even seem impossible.
Have you ever thought of getting better options and opportunities in the market by lying on your CV? According to a recent survey from StaffCircle, many people do precisely that, and the rest of this article will outline the critical findings.
How Many People Lie on Their CV?
In the StaffCircle survey, 1,500 respondents were surveyed, and out of them, 32% admitted to lying on their CVs to get a better shot at finding a job. What might be more surprising to hear is that 93% of the liars were not caught for their lies after getting employed. Also, 63% revealed they would lie or at least be tempted to lie in the future to get a better job.
Furthermore, regarding how likely different age groups are to lie in the recruitment process, the age demographic revealed to falsify the truth the most were the 25-34-year-olds (43%). which was then followed by the 35-44-year-olds and then the 18-24-year-olds.
There are different directions that lying on your CV can take you. 51% of the people who lied still held the same position at the time of the survey. While 58% of the respondents who had lied believed that lying did not help them or give them an advantage over other candidates, the other 42% believed that lying during recruitment helped them secure the job.
14 respondents out of the total 1,500 surveyed faced legal action by their employers because of lying in the recruitment process.
The Most Frequent False Truths Employees Tell
People have various types of insecurities that cause them to tell different lies in the recruitment process. For example, it was found that people were more willing to lie for remote jobs, as 62% of respondents declared they would be more likely to lie for a remote job. Other than that, there are many different things people can lie about, such as their experience, previous salaries, skills, and lying to change their career.
The survey provided the following information about the top lies told by applicants during the recruiting process, and the main reasons why people lied were:
Experience: 53% lied on their resumes about their experience.
Talents: 38% have enhanced their skills on their resumes.
Pay history: 26% of respondents lied about their past salaries.
How Can Companies Detect Liars Better?
Given that most of those who lied during the recruitment process went undetected, it can be tempting for some people to continue lying in the future. Businesses need to pay closer attention to the recruiting process.
Background checks can be used to accomplish this, but they can also take a lot of time because it may be impossible to identify every lie. Utilising tools for competency evaluation, such as a performance management system, would be the more effective course of action as it enables organisations to acknowledge employees’ skill sets and assess their suitability for a position.
68% of the respondents who lied labelled the interview process that they went through as either ‘very thorough’ or ‘quite thorough’, suggesting that employers still have work to do to avoid regrettable and expensive hiring mistakes. However, by ensuring that the chosen candidate has the necessary abilities for the position, employers can use competency-based hiring methods to decrease the likelihood of making mistakes.
Despite how helpful it might seem, you shouldn’t think lying on your CV or during the hiring process is a good idea. Under certain conditions, businesses have the right to punish employees and fire them. Even more career difficulties could befall employees.
Furthermore, recruiters may exchange information, which could lead to you being blacklisted by other companies. If you decide to lie on your resume, it can permanently harm your chances of getting a new job.
Founder Dinis Guarda
IntelligentHQ Your New Business Network.
IntelligentHQ is a Business network and an expert source for finance, capital markets and intelligence for thousands of global business professionals, startups, and companies.
We exist at the point of intersection between technology, social media, finance and innovation.
IntelligentHQ leverages innovation and scale of social digital technology, analytics, news and distribution to create an unparalleled, full digital medium and social business network spectrum.
IntelligentHQ is working hard, to become a trusted, and indispensable source of business news and analytics, within financial services and its associated supply chains and ecosystems.