Unemployment rates have been soaring for the past few years. The shrinking job market has become extremely competitive, with a saturation of job seekers. Therefore, everyone is struggling to become the perfect job candidate with the right qualifications. But that is not an easy feat. Most people are confused about what skills are relevant in the job market. Furthermore, others are unprepared to integrate technology into their work because of a lack of experience.
You must be familiar with these issues if you are a recent graduate. Even if you are a student, you must have heard about the problems of seeking employment. Though having the right degree is essential, that alone is not enough for a successful career.
Tips to excel in your Education and Career
- Enroll in an online course: Nowadays, many Americans are opting for online courses. According to US News, more students are opting for e-learning options in place of traditional learning. More than 6.3 million Americans took online courses in 2016 alone. Furthermore, distance learning is favored across the board because students can study anywhere, anytime. But why should you opt for an online course? Because an online course can help you climb the corporate ladder. No matter if you are working or a full-time student, online courses are excellent resources to add to your resume. And due to flexible study options, you will be able to study and work simultaneously. If that wasn’t enough, online learning results in higher salaries. High school dropouts earn approximately $143 less per week compared to graduates. So, these dropouts might get a better paycheck if they pass online high school courses for credit that aid in career development. Not only this, but online learning shows recruiters that you are a disciplined individual.
- Get experience: Now that we have talked about education’s relevance to your job prospects, let’s talk about work experience. Employers are not just looking for straight-A students with a perfect GPA. Because of competition and over-saturation in the job market, work experience can make a world of difference in your career. Recruiters want employees to have the relevant business skills necessary to thrive in their industry. According to Highfliers, 40% of employers consider work experience as a vital prerequisite for a job. Hence, companies hire people with the right mix of work experience and academic prowess. Therefore to get your foot in the door, you must have the right work experience with the right companies. Also, work experience can help you realize how the industry operates. It will also illustrate which skills are vital for your current degree. Additionally, work experience is an integral part of recruitment campaigns, but do not rely solely on your degree to get a job.
- Update your skills: Most companies take a holistic look at job seekers. They do not want socially inept geniuses in their companies since research proves that soft skills are the best markers for success. Let’s look at the meaning of soft skills before we talk about their importance in the workplace. Soft skills are skills that indicate how a person will interact with other colleagues. They are also consistent indicators of problem-solving capabilities and management styles. Some common soft skills include communication, adaptability, critical thinking, and problem-solving. Since all these skills are valuable in the workplace, companies recruit people with interpersonal skills. Indeed, most companies often overlook technical skills if a job seeker does not have the right soft skill. You can upgrade your soft skills by taking online courses and training. First, you must find out which job skill is most valuable for your career. Then, look through online learning platforms for a free course on the skills and enroll in the program. With the right skill set, you can reach the top of the corporate ladder in no time.
- Do something you love: Do what you love, and you will not have to work for a day. While this saying is considered a cliché by most, there is a kernel of truth in it. According to research, doing what you love can make you happier and more successful. Furthermore, passionate people are more productive since they take an active interest in their job. Researchers have found that productivity increases by 12% if people enjoy their work. And, your enthusiasm for work might even be infectious. Your positive attitude may boost morale and improve the work environment motivating others to take joy. But not everyone knows what they want to do. If you do not understand what interests you, you can talk to counselors to guide you. You can also take an online career quiz to estimate your interests and skills. Once you find what you are good at, stick to it, and you will see yourself excel in your career.
- Integrate technology: Technical skills are becoming relevant to all sectors of our lives. The introduction of technology like Big Data and AI learning has changed the DNA of the job sector. Most jobs that previously had little to do with Big Data are integrating technology in their industry. Data Science has intercepted every level in every field, so data science skills are in demand in all sectors. According to sources, in 2018 alone, there were more than 1.2 million job postings for data science experts. Computer science is also an integral part of most careers. So, to succeed in the high-tech world of today, you must integrate technology into your career. You can choose online courses to give you a foundation in technical skills such as programming analytics.
Students and professionals must have the right academic qualification to get their foot through the door. But, it becomes a different ballgame after that. Due to the uncertainty in the job market, students and workers must optimize their portfolios to succeed. They can do so by broadening their skill set. Prospective employees must take every advantage they can to ensure a successful career.
This is an article provided by our partners’ network. It does not reflect the views or opinions of our editorial team and management.
Founder Dinis Guarda
IntelligentHQ Your New Business Network.
IntelligentHQ is a Business network and an expert source for finance, capital markets and intelligence for thousands of global business professionals, startups, and companies.
We exist at the point of intersection between technology, social media, finance and innovation.
IntelligentHQ leverages innovation and scale of social digital technology, analytics, news and distribution to create an unparalleled, full digital medium and social business network spectrum.
IntelligentHQ is working hard, to become a trusted, and indispensable source of business news and analytics, within financial services and its associated supply chains and ecosystems.