Modern advancements and the recent global pandemic dramatically changed the business landscape as remote workplaces became the norm. Eventually, the advantages of virtual operations, like saving money and flexible work schedules, encouraged many establishments to question the necessity of their physical office spaces. Although this concept may work for some businesses, it’s not ideal for everyone.
Three Benefits Of An Office
Having a commercial office has benefits that make it a valuable asset. Below are a few examples:
- Access To Local Consumers – Despite the increased visibility and sales potential businesses can achieve on the internet; many companies generate most of their revenue from their local community. Going virtual could reduce your customer base and earnings potential.
- In-Person Interactions – Believe it or not, most people still prefer to conduct business in person. Visiting a service provider in a commercial setting offers a level of personalization that the internet cannot duplicate. Face-to-face interactions enable people to comprehend verbal and nonverbal language more effectively while building stronger relationships.
- Improved Morale And Collaboration – Remote work can lead to stress and reduced workplace morale. As working from home gets lonely, team members can start to feel isolated. When a team member feels disconnected, it can hinder their ability to collaborate with others which slows productivity. An office provides team members with a space where they can interact with others socially and professionally, improving their mood and performance.
Reducing Office Expenses
Although having a physical office space may be beneficial, one of the most significant downsides is keeping up with the costs. Below are some suggestions on how to save on your operational expenses.
- Downsize – If your office space affects your budget, downsizing could lower your out-of-pocket expenses. Search for commercial property in a high-traffic area. Opting for an open-concept workspace instead of individual offices increases your real estate options while reducing your lease. You can purchase office furniture like desk pods to save space and cultivate a collaborative environment. You could also consider a hybrid work schedule, so there are never too many team members in the office at once.
- Lease Extra Space – If you’re interested in saving substantially, leasing extra office space can cut your operating expenses. Subletting to a non-competing company could lower your bills by half or more.
- Sustainable Solutions – Going green can save a lot of money on office expenses. Sustainable office supplies are cost-effective and reduce your carbon footprint. Green practices like going paperless can lower the costs of toner, paper, filing supplies, storage space, and office equipment. Encouraging team members to turn off lights, unplug devices (when not in use), recycle, and reduce the use of electric devices in the office will help keep utility bills manageable.
- Buy Refurbished – Technology is one of the biggest yet essential business expenses. You need computing devices and office equipment to perform your job. However, technology is expensive. One way to keep costs down is to buy refurbished devices and equipment. These are used products that have been inspected and repaired by the manufacturer or other tech experts. Refurbished technology often comes with a warranty for added protection. The best part is it’s a lot cheaper than buying new technology.
- Promotional Offers, Discounts, And Rewards – Savvy shopping can help businesses save money on office expenses. Look for promotional offers and use coupons to get discounts. Shopping with your business rewards credit card can also provide more money-savings opportunities, including exclusive discounts and cashback rewards. Lastly, ask your vendors and suppliers about promotional offers for businesses. If you’re willing to maintain a long-standing relationship, they’re more inclined to cut you a deal.
Remote workforces have advantages; however, they’re not ideal for all businesses. A physical location provides a professional image while improving customer accessibility, cultivating strong client relationships, and improving team member morale (and productivity). Unfortunately, rising inflation and the high costs of owning or leasing commercial space are overwhelming. If maintaining a commercial office works best for your company, use the money-saving tips above to reduce your operational expenses.
Founder Dinis Guarda
IntelligentHQ Your New Business Network.
IntelligentHQ is a Business network and an expert source for finance, capital markets and intelligence for thousands of global business professionals, startups, and companies.
We exist at the point of intersection between technology, social media, finance and innovation.
IntelligentHQ leverages innovation and scale of social digital technology, analytics, news and distribution to create an unparalleled, full digital medium and social business network spectrum.
IntelligentHQ is working hard, to become a trusted, and indispensable source of business news and analytics, within financial services and its associated supply chains and ecosystems.