Anyone who is in the middle of a job search needs to have some basic computer skills. In this day and age, it’s impossible to secure an office job without some experience and knowledge of basic software programs. Depending on the job posting you’re replying to, you may need to know specific computer programs. As such, make sure that your resume and cover letter include all applicable software skills required by the position.
Important Computer Skills For A Resume
Having certain software skills is not only required for specific positions, but it can help you stand out from other job prospects as well. With that in mind, the following are some of the software programs you should be familiar with:
- Word processor: At the bare minimum, you should know how to create, edit, and manage word-processing files using a program like Microsoft Word (available in the Microsoft Office suite) or Google Docs (available in G Suite).
- Spreadsheets: Knowing how to use spreadsheet programs, such as Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets, is often essential for keeping information organized as well as easy to read and access.
- Presentations: If your job requires you to put together presentations for management, your team, or for clients, you should be familiar with various presentation programs. For example, many businesses require employees to present information on their digital signage using Powerpoint or Google Slides.
- Social media: Not only do you need to know how to use social media, but you need to be familiar with the different types of social media channels. For example, many companies require employees to know how to do research and engage with potential clients on channels like LinkedIn.
- Communication apps: Many jobs will require you to have a decent working knowledge of communication software, including tools like Slack or Skype. These tools make it easy for you to communicate with coworkers and project managers.
- File management: Most employers expect their employees to be able to move files between computers, upload them to an external drive and convert certain file formats.
- Email management: In today’s world, knowing how to use email software is absolutely necessary. Almost every communication you have with your boss or coworkers is going to be by email, and if you can’t keep up with your inbox, then it’ll be impossible for you to move up in the company. You should be familiar with a variety of email solutions, including Microsoft Outlook and Gmail.
- Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop: If you’re applying for a job as a graphic designer, then you’ll need to be familiar with programs like Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. Businesses often use these programs to design logos, brochures, and other marketing materials.
- Project management software: If you’re applying for a position as a manager or as part of a team, knowing how to use project management tools will go a long way. Some of the project management solutions you should be familiar with include Microsoft Project, Gantt Chart, and Primavera.
- Database management software: If the job you’re applying to involves database management, then you’ll need to have a comprehensive understanding of the different types of databases and how they work, such as SQL.
- Content management software: If you’re interested in a job as a content writer, manager, or editor, then you should be familiar with the programs and tools that such professionals use to manage their work. These include content management systems (CMS) such as Drupal and blogging platforms like WordPress.
- Web development programs: If you’re a web developer, you should know how to build websites and blogs. At the very least, you’ll need to know how to create or edit basic web pages using HTML or CSS.
- Accounting programs: If you’re an accountant, then it’s vital that you know the ins and outs of various accounting programs, such as Quickbooks.
Having Software Skills Is Crucial to Employment in an Office Environment
Job seekers today need to list computer skills on their resumes. Generally speaking, most businesses will outline the basic software skill set that they require in their job descriptions. Hiring managers will look for these important computer skills in your resume’s skill section. Remember to make sure you list all of your soft skills and hardware skills on your resume as well.
If your software skills are lacking, don’t worry. There are many ways to learn or improve your knowledge of various computer software programs, whether it’s by taking classes at a local community college, signing up for online courses, or even watching a tutorial on YouTube.
Founder Dinis Guarda
IntelligentHQ Your New Business Network.
IntelligentHQ is a Business network and an expert source for finance, capital markets and intelligence for thousands of global business professionals, startups, and companies.
We exist at the point of intersection between technology, social media, finance and innovation.
IntelligentHQ leverages innovation and scale of social digital technology, analytics, news and distribution to create an unparalleled, full digital medium and social business network spectrum.
IntelligentHQ is working hard, to become a trusted, and indispensable source of business news and analytics, within financial services and its associated supply chains and ecosystems.