The Australian government has made multiple provisions for enabling skilled professional individuals to immigrate to their country for work purposes and possibly obtain permanent residency. Such provisions belong to the Visa subclass 189, which has two streams for applicants based on their nationality.
What does 189 Visa mean?
It is a type of visa for invited workers and individuals who can work and live permanently in Australia. The program welcomes those who possess distinguishable academic or corporate qualifications and skills who desire to work and live in Australia.
The applicant can qualify regardless of their marital status or entailing family members. Those individuals can also be invited by submitting an application that needs to be accepted by the Australian Authorities.
Still, the eligibility criteria differ within the 189 subclass visa for two streams, by which it offers global residents and natives of New Zealand to work and live in Australia permanently.
New Zealand Stream
Citizens of New Zealand that have demonstrated contributions to Australia and commitment to work in Australia can apply with adherence to the following conditions:
- The applicant must hold a New Zealand Special Category Visa (subclass 444 visa).
- The applicant must have lived in Australia for the past 5 years.
- The temporary residency of the applicant in Australia must begin before or on 19th Feb 2016.
Points Tested Stream
It is a separate stream that will manage applications from skilled workers from countries other than NZ who want to live and work in Australia.
- The applicant must not require a sponsor or a nominator.
- Only invited persons can apply for the 189 subclass visa.
- The age of the invited person should not exceed 45 years.
Invited applicants from either stream shall need to pay upwards of AUD 4,115 or more to apply. Moreover, the processing time for each type of application is different.
An invited individual’s application may take 18 months to process or up to 29 months. For the NZ stream applicant, the same process might take from 15 months to 16 months.
Points Tested Stream Eligibility
The eligibility criteria for obtaining a 189 visa requires the applicant to fulfill stated objectives presented under the following classified sections:
- Invited Independent Visa applicants must belong to a relevant occupation type whose mention exists in the list of 212 listed skill-based professions.
- Such Individuals shall need to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI).
- Shall need to meet the point score evaluation criteria and score over 65 points.
- Should meet the Medical and Health criteria besides possessing competency in English.
- The individual shall be aged between 18 to 44 years.
- The submitted EOI shall be gauged against the point score of other invited applicants.
Benefits of 189 Visa
- Its duration is indefinite, meaning it can last permanently.
- An individual can work or study in Australia permanently.
- Can enroll in the National Medicare program.
- Sponsor Eligible Relatives to provide them Permanent Residency.
- Travel to Australia and outside of it for five years.
Founder Dinis Guarda
IntelligentHQ Your New Business Network.
IntelligentHQ is a Business network and an expert source for finance, capital markets and intelligence for thousands of global business professionals, startups, and companies.
We exist at the point of intersection between technology, social media, finance and innovation.
IntelligentHQ leverages innovation and scale of social digital technology, analytics, news and distribution to create an unparalleled, full digital medium and social business network spectrum.
IntelligentHQ is working hard, to become a trusted, and indispensable source of business news and analytics, within financial services and its associated supply chains and ecosystems.