Ryan Abbott, MD, JD, MTOM, PhD is Professor of Law and Health Sciences at the University of Surrey School of Law and Adjunct Assistant Professor of Medicine at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. Professor Ryan Abbott is highly regarded for his scholarship, teaching, and professional activities.
Ryan Abbot Questions
1. Profile and Background;
3. Academic background
4. You wrote the Book author of The Reasonable Robot: Artificial Intelligence and the Law published in 2020 by Cambridge University Press. Can you tell us about the book?
5. How do you see the Challenges of AI in general when it comes to Robotics?
6. Can you highlight some of your work on the World Intellectual Property Organization AI?
7. World Intellectual Property Organization AI case studies
8. Case study as AI Artificial inventor project https://artificialinventor.com/
9. Human to human, human vs machine, and machine to machine how do you see these interactions of our time?
10. You wrote this article Punishing Artificial Intelligence: Legal Fiction or Science Fiction with Alexander Sarch can you elaborate on this?
11. AI and health sciences and healthcare. How do you see this special if we bear in mind the case study of the nazis using IBM machines for doing mass murder?
12. Cases studies you want to highlight from your work in the areas of AI and life sciences?
13. At the moment we have all the sectors of legal tech and regtech. As AI and Law main areas grow and position new possibilities, what areas you would like to highlight given your research?
14. You have a lot of work working in the areas of Patent and Trademark Offices. What areas you would like to highlight given your research special in the context of tech startups and innovation?
15. You wrote a paper in 2011 looking at complementary, alternative and integrative medicine. Can you elaborate on this and also the possibilities special as a low tech historical contrabalance with all the tech and AI advancements?
16. We touched a lot of the advances of AI and law and a bit on ethics. How do you see the challenges of human DNA engineering and life sciences life expansion?
Ryan Abbott Biography
Professor Ryan Abbott is the author of The Reasonable Robot: Artificial Intelligence and the Law published in 2020 by Cambridge University Press, and he has published widely on issues associated with law and technology, health law, and intellectual property in leading legal, medical, and artificial intelligence books and journals. Professor Abbott’s research has been featured prominently in the media, including in the New York Times, Financial Times, Forbes, and VICE. He routinely gives keynote lectures and presents internationally in academic (e.g., MIT, Stanford, Oxford, Cambridge), government (e.g., World Intellectual Property Organization, World Trade Organization, UK Intellectual Property Office), and industry (e.g., AIPPI, American Chemical Society, INTERPAT) settings. Managing Intellectual Property magazine named him as one of the fifty most influential people in intellectual property in 2019.
Professor Ryan Abbott has worked as a partner in legal practice, and he has been outside general counsel to life science companies. He has served as a consultant or expert for international organizations, academic institutions and non-profit enterprises including the United Kingdom Parliament, European Commission, World Health Organization (WHO) and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). Professor Abbott has also worked as an expert witness which has included testifying in U.S. federal court.
Professor Abbott is a CEDR-accredited mediator and a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb). He is a mediator and arbitrator with JAMS and a panelist with a variety of national and international dispute resolution service providers. Prior to that, Professor Abbott has worked as a partner in legal practice, where he primarily focused on transactional matters and intellectual property litigation in the life sciences, and he has been general counsel of a biotechnology company.
Professor Ryan Abbott is a licensed physician, attorney, and acupuncturist in the United States, as well as a solicitor advocate in England and Wales. He is board certified by the American Board of Legal Medicine.
Professor Abbott is a graduate of the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine (M.D.), the Yale Law School (J.D.), the University of Surrey School of Law (Ph.D.) as well as a Summa Cum Laude graduate from Emperor’s College (M.T.O.M.) and a Summa Cum Laude graduate from University of California, Los Angeles (B.S.). He is a registered patent attorney with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and a member of the California and New York State Bars. He is also a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA).
About The Reasonable Robot: Artificial Intelligence and the Law
The Reasonable Robot confronts the impending clash of AI and the law through a series of chapters that examine some of the major areas that will be impacted by the rapidly advancing technology. Abbott guides the reader through an insightful journey that analyzes how we ought to regulate the confluence of AI and fields like tax, criminal law, patent and copyright law, and tort liability. Abbott’s fundamental thesis is that, where AI and these fields – among many others – intersect, there ought to be legal neutrality. In other words, the law should not discriminate between AI and human behavior.
This thesis, should it be realized, has massive implications for our common future. It will level the playing field between robot and human workers to prevent inefficiently subsidizing automation through taxes. It could help usher in a world of autonomous vehicles, which could amount to one of the major public health breakthroughs of the 21st century considering how many deaths and injuries occur because of human drivers. It could mean more innovation, creation, and increased standards of living. This book, the thesis it sets forth, and the ideas it imagines are novel, barrier-pushing arguments.
Ryan Abbott Links & Sources
Founder Dinis Guarda
IntelligentHQ Your New Business Network.
IntelligentHQ is a Business network and an expert source for finance, capital markets and intelligence for thousands of global business professionals, startups, and companies.
We exist at the point of intersection between technology, social media, finance and innovation.
IntelligentHQ leverages innovation and scale of social digital technology, analytics, news and distribution to create an unparalleled, full digital medium and social business network spectrum.
IntelligentHQ is working hard, to become a trusted, and indispensable source of business news and analytics, within financial services and its associated supply chains and ecosystems.