Over a series of articles IntelligentHQ will highlight social entrepreneurs that have produced outstanding work, by creating companies that made a difference in the world.
Elizabeth Dearborn Davis, the founder of Akilah Institute for Women, went to Rwanda at age 22, armed with nothing more than a pedigree education from Vanderbilt University. She didn’t speak the language. She had no relatives or friends there to give her support. There was no job waiting for her. But she had amazing energy, a resourceful brain and great business skills. Her stubborn determination to make a difference in the war-torn country led her to found Akilah Institute.
The Akilah Institute is a college for women in East Africa offering a unique model of market-relevant education that enables young women to achieve economic independence and obtain leadership roles in the workplace and in society.
Intelligenthq assembles here Elizabeth Dearborn Davis most thought provoking and inspiring quotes, reflecting her work in Akilah.
1. When I first launched Akilah, I desperately wanted to achieve rapid growth and recognition for the work we were doing. It’s inevitable that our egos get wrapped up in the process.
2. Major systemic change doesnt happen overnight, it requires many years of hard work and sacrifice.
3. I gave myself permission to continue to make tons of mistakes as long as my heart is in right place and I’m operating from a place of pure intention.
4. As social entrepreneurs, we have to make this committment with eyes wide open and then develop a practice that supports this long sustained investment of energy.
5. If you have a vision and you stay focused on it, every single day, you will be surprised. Doors will open and the right people will appear in your life to help make it happen.
6. It doesn’t matter if you do something in Africa or right here in Tampa. Just know that anything is possible.
7. Wisdom is the ability to see opportunity, to have the entrepreneurial skills to create and innovate. Wisdom is the conviction to stand up for what is right and make a positive impact in one’s community.
8. When you educate a woman, you’re educating her whole community.
Founder Dinis Guarda
IntelligentHQ Your New Business Network.
IntelligentHQ is a Business network and an expert source for finance, capital markets and intelligence for thousands of global business professionals, startups, and companies.
We exist at the point of intersection between technology, social media, finance and innovation.
IntelligentHQ leverages innovation and scale of social digital technology, analytics, news and distribution to create an unparalleled, full digital medium and social business network spectrum.
IntelligentHQ is working hard, to become a trusted, and indispensable source of business news and analytics, within financial services and its associated supply chains and ecosystems.