6 Examples of on-demand logistics
There is no denying that the delivery and logistics industry has changed monumentally over the past decade, and trends have really been ramping up over the past few years. This is because we are leading busier lives and we’re getting more impatient. We expect convenience. This is where on-demand logistics has come from. In this blog post, we will explore on-demand logistics in further detail, providing some examples so that you can get a better understanding of what it is and how you could benefit from it.
What is on-demand logistics?
There is only one place to begin, and this is by explaining what on-demand logistics actually is. This basically means getting products sent to customers when they need them, rather than simply having to wait until an item arrives at any given time. This has resulted in the term “convenience economy” being developed, which is now the leading driver with regards to purchasing behaviour.
What are some examples of on-demand logistics?
There are a lot of different examples of on-demand logistics, so let’s take a look.
- Online grocery shopping – There is only one place to begin, and this is with grocery shopping. Getting your groceries delivered to your front door is hugely convenient, especially for those who are unable to get to the supermarket with ease. You can select your delivery date and time slot, which can be as specific as a one-hour window.
- Takeaway delivery services – Of course, we have seen the likes of UberEats and Deliveroo soar in popularity in recent times. You are able to see the food services delivering in your area, the typical wait time, and you can customise the food items on the menu with ease.
- Late-night alcohol delivery – When ordering from the websites mentioned in the previous section, not only can you choose food items, but the services have expanded to include convenience stores and off-licences. So, if you are having a party with friends and you run out of booze, you can easily get it delivered to your front door. Not only convenient but safe too.
- Specified date and time delivery slots for clothing orders – We have also seen how on-demand logistics has filtered into the retail sector as well. There are companies like Next that have given consumers the opportunity to not only select a specific date for their order to be delivered, but also a time slot. Not only does this mean that you can select a time slot that is convenient whereby you are assured to be at home, but you are shown which options will be the most eco-friendly as well.
- Same-day flower delivery – In addition to the examples we have mentioned so far, the ability to send flowers with a same-day delivery option has helped so many people who have forgotten about birthdays only to be reminded on the date itself thanks to their Facebook notifications. These flower delivery websites will typically send your order through to a local florist, ensuring it can be delivered so long as you place your order before the daily cut off time.
- Workplace coffee deliveries – If you are craving a latte from Starbucks or a cappuccino from Costa Coffee, you don’t have to visit the store and carry back a tray of 10 coffees for the rest of the team. Simply get them delivered instead.
Hopefully, this article has provided a useful insight into on-demand logistics and the various different ways that this service is provided across the country. These days, you can get virtually anything delivered to your door, and in just a matter of hours. This is a trend that is only going to continue to ramp up as time goes on and if, as a business you want to include delivery on demand, it’s best to search for a reputable company who you can trust to get it right.
Founder Dinis Guarda
IntelligentHQ Your New Business Network.
IntelligentHQ is a Business network and an expert source for finance, capital markets and intelligence for thousands of global business professionals, startups, and companies.
We exist at the point of intersection between technology, social media, finance and innovation.
IntelligentHQ leverages innovation and scale of social digital technology, analytics, news and distribution to create an unparalleled, full digital medium and social business network spectrum.
IntelligentHQ is working hard, to become a trusted, and indispensable source of business news and analytics, within financial services and its associated supply chains and ecosystems.