Guide To the New SEO – Total Internet Optimisation Part 1
Forget SEO And Embrace TIO – Total Internet Optimisation
This is the first part of a series of articles that reflect how search engine optimisation has been changing. The guide describes a more powerful way of looking at this online marketing discipline and it introduces a approach to internet optimization entitling it “Total Internet Optimisation (TIO).
With more than 460 Million Connected Devices and around 1 billion websites creating this very holistic thing we call Internet, SEO is more critical for the success of any business strategy than ever. SEO is becoming increasingly TIO – Total Internet Optimisation. SEO – an acronym for search engine optimisation, as everyone knows – is now experiencing a profound revolution, as in order to be effective, it needs to be much more than just optimisation for search engines.
The Internet reached 1 billion websites in September of 2014, a milestone confirmed by NetCraft in its October 2014 Web Server Survey, with a tweet from the inventor of the World Wide Web, Tim Berners-Lee. The number of websites in the world has subsequently declined, reverting back to a level below 1 billion.
Search Engine Optimisation is now absolutely crucial to any website, having to live in the midst of a global internet made up with an overwhelming number of websites. But nowadays, you need to master not only search but mobile, social media and app optimisation if you want to truly optimise your digital presence. As search becomes less of a monopoly to get traffic you have to rely in both Google and Facebook (or at least one of them) as these are the main drivers of traffic. It is important to look as well with Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, Instagram, Pinterest and if you have enough resources, don’t forget Reddit of StumbleUpon.
The challenge for the SEO industry (or to anyone running a website) is how to create and integrate a strong digital strategy in a multiple fragmented Internet that works in various verticals. Those verticals are:
- Social media;
- Specific platforms such as iTunes, Amazon and so forth.
In this admirable world of a fast changing Internet the critical element is to get a strong technical set up and use a technology that is responsive, plus being sure you keep updating your digital footprint. Thus, the challenge is to optimise across the board – optimise the total internet own and earn media that you manage, and increasingly relate it with your media buying. For your media buying you can do it on a small scale, using Fiverr or any crowdsourced platform.
Any marketer, growth-hacker and/or SEO expert need to bear in mind that the digital media landscape is an increasingly complex ecosystem. With new fast changing and disruptive channels, media and technology popping up every month, sometimes every week, the web is getting more complex and fragmented.
The most critical component of digital success in today’s marketing, particularly with the SEO – technical, strategical and holistic – universe is to have a focus and cohesive strategy – a theoretical (and technical) framework that makes sense of every marketing tool, platform, activity executed by a given brand, and provides an architecture for measurement and optimization of every activity.
One needs to have a holistic approach of good practices, a correct set up for the technical part of a website and how it integrates with strategy and content. There are a lot of names for SEO but ultimately it is about good practices that have to do with consistency and ethical best practice.
In order to have the right implementation of a SEO or TIO any business has to do their homework first. That homework is about the setting the goals and purposes of your business. It has to do with what is required to reach people and how to improve the technology, the CMS (content management system).It is important to manage the SEO dialogue between the technical features of your website / platform and the business and content requirements. With the proper approach, you will have the proper ROI (return on investment).
What are the critical elements in SEO Total Internet Optimisation?
I went through a checklist that intends to nail the most important things for the SEO performance of any given responsive website. This does not attempt to tackle bespoke areas of website optimisation that relate to business specific commercial goals.
You may have more detailed needs for mobile apps and specific elements such as Google Webmaster Tools optimisation, Sitemap (e.g. separate news sitemap) that will need thorough mapping and efforts. My recommendation is holistic and with a focus to do a good homework and research and make sure you have the essentials covered and then work with an SEO / Social Media specialist (in-house or outsourced) to overlay the correct detailed project management.
Remember as well that TIO – SEO and Social are working together having a double effect on each other. Plus Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest and especially Twitter (and even Stumbleupon) are all search engines on their own. These are driven by the social graph data and sponsored and indexed by Google and by Bing search from Microsoft.
Some key actions to a successful SEO – Total Internet Optisation are the following:
- Remarkable Content strategy adapted to your key audience with a special long tail DNA, engaged with a powerful message and distribution strategy;
- Make sure this content has a right outreach close to the right audience segment. Ideally with one-to-one outreach, that pays particular attention to influencers. Send emails, ask for retweets, use hashtags.
- Coordination between technical/IT/web systems/ editorial team / social media / customer service / sales and customer services team(s). Make sure there is a strong link between a good clean coding and the respective content management;
- Make sure you focus on your basic page optimization (CMS / SEO Web Design and special responsive mobile optimisation – use Google Console optimisation).
- Effective Calls to Action and Conversion Pages;
- Strong off Page Augmentation (SEO Link Building). Links, links, and links with quality;
- Social Media presence associated with the website and co-related with the message/ goals you are trying to drive. Promotion done mostly through social media;
- Patience and Persistence and updating oneself continuously;
- Broadcast your content and pages through strong social media and right syndication platforms;
- Crowdsourced – Paid organic amplification. The subject of Crowdsourced organic paid amplification is critical, in the current ecosystem of social media, multi-responsive platforms and permanent growth in the number of websites. Platforms such as Fiverr and PeoplePerHour have been supporting a smoothly SEO amplification for small costs and if well used are very powerful for SEO – TIO efforts.
Other parts of this guide: